Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The week that was, really wasn't very much.

Two bad combinations, lack of energy and uncomfortably hot and humid weather, have effectively caused all of us to turn into a trio of hermits. What is supposed to be the beginning of the Fall Season has turned into a drawn out mid-Summer hibernation. I had high hopes for Autumn a few weeks ago when I found two beautiful maple leafs in their glorious winter-red colors laying on the front lawn. I picked them up and brought them inside and scanned them and posted the picture on my Facebook page. And then things went downhill from there.
So what do we do when we have nothing to do? As I sit here at the computer writing this all I can hear are the soft sounds of snoring as my two sleeping beauties take an afternoon nap. It is likely to remain this way for a few more hours until its time to go out to the kitchen and prepare dinner. 

Just prior to their mid-afternoon slumber my two best friends had followed me out to their favorite hangout and we all enjoyed some lunch. I cooked a 5-minute quickie of homemade pizza with an idea I came up with a few months ago trying to decide what to do with all the leftover hamburger buns I had after grilling a single burger for dinner. 

You can't buy a package of buns that has less than 8 of them and unless you like hamburgers a lot the unused bag of buns often goes to waste. It was a moment of inspiration combined with the fact that I conveniently had a pot of spaghetti sauce in the refrigerator and a package of Provolone cheese. 

The trick was to turn the squishy-soft hamburger bun into a crispy thin pizza crust so I took the two halves of the buns and pressed them flat and put them on the stove in a pan and heated them up until they were brown. Then I topped them with a tablespoon of sauce and a slice of the cheese I had and nuked them in the microwave for a minute.

That crude invention has undergone a few changes. I found a nice small toaster oven in Kroger one day for $39 and some small jars of real pizza sauce and some bags of pizza cheese. Now all I do is put the flattened bun halves in the toaster, after its been toasted I put a tablespoon of the pizza sauce and a small handful of cheese on top and finish it off in the toaster oven. 

Meanwhile I need to pay tribute to my two rotten kids. Their snoring is so soothing it actually makes me want to lean back in my chair and doze off with them.
But I have to post this first.

No comments:

Post a Comment