Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Eight is Enough

How about some good news. I filled out an application last night with Southern States Rescued Rottweilers to begin the process to adopt another Rottweiler. The Rottweiler's name is Rossi and he is about 6 or 7 years old, about twice the age of Bess but still only 3 years difference in age. He is located in a foster home in Yorktown, Virginia. Rossi's bio says he gets along fine with Rottie girls and the only question I have is that he is on the small size, and only weights 70 lbs. I never had a Rott that small before. Bess weights 110 lbs and Ruff weights 130 lbs.

I have no doubts about the current health of my big old friend Ruffin but he will be 11 years old next month and he won't live forever. I want someone to be best friends with Bess after Ruffin is gone.
This may be premature because they haven't accepted my application but I am confident they won't hold my age against me. I hope the stories and photos on my blog will make up the difference.
Funny that I should just recall the title of one of my favorite old time TV shows from the late 1970s called, Eight is Enough. The fact is I have thoroughly enjoyed living with seven Rottweilers and now, as late as it is, am seriously thinking of adding one more. Realistically speaking, none of this would have happened if I had been able to find and adopt a mature adult Rottweiler female to take Sassy's place after she died four years ago. Ruffin was so much in love with her that his mourning for her loss was making him sick and I was desperate to find him a companion. 

My big mistake back then was trying to limit my search to find a Rottweiler within easy driving distance from my home. Then yesterday I came across an article on the AKC Marketplace web site about adoption and rescue groups and one of them was Southern States Rescued Rottweilers which just happens to provide free transportation. If I had known about them fours years ago I think everything today would have been different. Except for one thing. Ruff would never have had the chance of a lifetime to raise a 7-week old puppy by himself. And this blog would not have had a hundred pages of stories and photos like this.
Maybe this all happened for a reason.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that's wonderful! I truly hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo Rossi! I was sad when you said the other day your "last two" rottweilers! Nonsense! I'm so happy you are adding to the family. Keep on Trucking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish this were true but there was a sudden, unexpected change. Turns out the people who wrote Rossi's web page bio forgot to mention that he didn't get along with other male dogs. Then, when they sent me an email they just happened to comment: "because Ruff is 11 years old how do you you plan to keep them separated until he goes to the bridge." I told them to keep their dog, Ruff is more important to me. But I have another rescue in mind so don't be disappointed.

      Delete