Saturday, January 20, 2018

What's happened in the last three weeks.

I am truly sorry for the lapse in posting on this blog. The weather has been the really big topic and the temperature has been going up and down so much that within one seven day period a few weeks ago we set both a new daily high temp record and a new daily low temp record. That high temp was 52 degrees and the low temp was -7 degrees. And on the same subject we got to witness a very rare phenomenon, something called Power Plant Snow. About 20 miles to our West there is a large power plant in Lawrenceburg, Indiana and the billowing steam from the cooling towers drifted over Northern Kentucky and collided with some of our very cold air and the steam turned to snow. 

Bess and Ruff have both enjoyed the snow and so have I for a different reason. So far we have had four small snow storms dropping only about 2-inches of snow each time. The reason I love it is because it is so easy to shovel the sidewalk. But Bess and Ruff didn't begin to enjoy it until the snow began to accumulate on the lawn.

Bess is the only one who is allowed to go out back alone because Ruff can't see the steps off the deck. I let Ruff out just to get a taste of the fresh snow and grab a photo of his girl Bess worrying about him at the door. And Bess has been very good this year in not running across the frozen water on top of the swimming pool cover. She did this last year and it gave me lots of concerns. I know she hasn't done it this year because there are no footprints in the snow on the pool cover.
Since I closed up the pool 4 years ago I put three extra covers over the safety cover but that safety cover is now over 20 years old. Before I permanently closed the pool I used to use only two extra covers and going back a few years before that Ruff and Axl thought the whole thing was just one big playground.
And 10 years ago baby Ruff thought it was a great place to run across and bounce up and down like a trampoline.
Even though we've spent most of our days indoors no one seems to have gotten cabin fever like some did years ago. It is rather quiet around the house (although very lonely) so the Rotts just like to hang out together and take naps.
Oh, and I got another year older. Had a very nice birthday party and shared my cake with everyone that came.

I hope to post more regular from now on.

2 comments:

  1. Nelson, good to have you back! And Happy Birthday to you! The snow photos of the dogs are lovely. Here in MN we've had a fair amount of snow but nothing too dramatic. I may have to take those words back by tomorrow because we are due for a nice snowstorm tonight and into tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jody, The major downside of warmer weather is that what used to be my front lawn is now a mud lake. But I don't envy your seasonal cold temperatures.

      Delete